Rob Swaine aka Shooting Horses, is a London-based DJ and producer who takes his name from Horace McCoy’s ‘They Shoot Horses Don’t They?’ one of his favourite novels. Its nice to see DJ’s/Producers with an affinity toward books, and its even nicer when they put together a special mix just for you. He recently dropped his debut 3 Track EP ‘Lekker’ on DubNoir, and is currently working on a slew of new material and remixes.
This mix is number 9 in our series, and after almost a two year hiatus, its a perfect choice for a comeback. Shooting Horses explores what I can only describe as the warped ‘bassier’ side of house music in the UK, whilst maintaining a solid house groove. Effortlessly mixing various styles into one coherent mix is not an easy feat, yet this is as smooth as the new guy, and he even looks a bit like him.
All jokes a side, Shooting Horses always delivers well thought out sets, and is solid on the production front. He also writes for our friends Loose Synths! Definitely one to watch….
1. Picture Book – Sunshine (Shooting Horses Food Mix)
2. 24 Hour Experience – Together
3. Simian Mobile Disco – Everyday
4. Masters At Work – I can’t get no sleep (MK Mix)
5. Hahaha – Adzuki Beans
6. Pol On – Transsistor
7. Maelstrom – House Music
8. Presk – Hesitate
9. Sepalcure – Hold On (Trevino Remix)
10. CDBL – Gangsta’s Anthem
11. Saulya – Effort Isn’t Enough (Arcade Remix)
12. Tanka – Big L
13. Mercedes – A Little Too Much (Shooting Horses Dub Remix)
14. Regality feat. Corrine – Celebrate
15. Technotronic – Pump Up The Jam
16. B Traits – Fever (Eats Everything Glandular Remix)
17. Justin Martin – Ghettos and Gardens
On top of this mix, Shooting Horses has recently finished remixing Mercede’s ‘A Little Too Much‘ which is out on 1st July 2012 on Technopolis, and it works 100% of the time on the dancefloor. A dub version will also be available.