Nas vs Massive Attack I hear you say? Yup, Tim Goldsworthy has re-arranged Nas‘ track ‘The Don‘ against Massive attack. The out come? a chilled, eerie, low key affair with plenty still going for it. I will always love the original of The Don as the beat is crazy, but this is a well flipped edit non the less, and looks as if it’s got Nas‘ approval. Check it out…
Category Archives: Electronic
Written by Teddy Boshanks. Posted on April 3, 2012.
I’ll shy away from clichés such as ‘man of the moment’ when speaking about Huxley. He’s been building his career for a long time now and cliché phrases like this are left for the hyped up artists who lack substance. With that in mind, Huxley delivers a fine mix of house with a dash of 2 step garage.
01. Jessie Ware – Running (Disclosure Mix) – PMR
02. N/A.3 – 01 – N/A.3
03. R.I.P Productions – I’ve Been Misled – Ice Cream Records
04. R.I.P Productions – Burning Up – Ice Cream Records
05. Mic Newman – Knickerbocker – Tsuba
06. L-Vis 1990 – Tonight (Kink Vocal Mix) -
07. Achterbahn d’Amour – The middle of – Frank Music
08. Enzo Siragusa – As We Are (Seb Zito Mix) – Fuse
09. Disclosure – Tenderly – Move Music
10. Storm Queen – Look Right Through (MK Dub Mix) – Defected
11. Scuba – Flash Addict – Hotflush
12. Wookie – Storm – Manchu
13. Lenny Fontana – Spirit Of The Sun (Steve Gurley Mix) – Public Demand
Written by Teddy Boshanks. Posted on February 20, 2012.
Written by Teddy Boshanks. Posted on February 6, 2012.
Talabot’s released on a few labels in his time, Permanent Vacation, Young Turks and his own Hivern Discs imprint, but its to the former he’s turned to release ƒin, a remarkable debut album that takes the late night inner-city vibes of producers like Burial and Convextion but splashes gold paint over those midnight blues and greys. The results are one of the saddest, but also inspiring records of 2012 so far.
Here’s John’s Latest mix for Fact Mag, and one of my favourites off the ƒin album. Mainly because it features Pional.
1. Phase 6 – Deep Motion
2. Mental – I want to Know Where Dub Is
3. Chateau Marmont – Nibiru (Beautiful Swimmers Late Night Dubbing Mix)
4. Warpaint – Undertow (N C Remix)
5. Rekid – Next Stop Chicago
6. Cos Ber Zam – Ne Noya (Daphni edit)
7. Jersey Devil Club – Hommage at 128
8. Cole Medina – We Call it Good to me
9. Sun La Shan – Catch (Dub version)
10. Jus Ed – 10 Am mix
11. Shakarchi & Stranéus – It’s my love (John Talabot Redrumedit)
12. African Dreams – Make a Living
13. Lovebirds – Keep coming (Axel Boman Remix)
14. Dauwd – Acireams
15. Soft Rocks – Magic Milk (Beautiful Swimmers Remix)
16. Omar S, Ob Ignitt – Wayne County Hill Cop’s
17. Dream 2 Science – My Love Turns to Liquid
18. Projekt : PM – When the Voices Comes
19. Blondes – Water (Bicep remix)
20. NAD – Distant Drums
Written by Teddy Boshanks. Posted on August 4, 2011.
Written by TomNutting. Posted on March 17, 2011.
Jamie Smith of the XX is quickly establishing himself as one of the most diverse and innovative producers in the game. His latest effort remixes Gil Scott Heron’s much lauded and critically acclaimed album ‘I’m New Here’. Throughout the 13 tracks he marries a variety of genres and samples but impressively still leaves you with the feeling that they are part of the same organism. You also quickly get a sense of the fun he is having on tracks such as ‘I’m New Here’ where he juxtaposes the vocals from Heron’s title track and Gloria Gaynor’s ‘Casanova Brown’ and plays it like a conversation between two people meeting for the first time, or the cheeky nod to Rui Da Silva’s 2001 hit ‘Touch Me’, which has clearly inspired the rhythmic crux for ‘Ur Soul and Mine’.
(Also, check Jamie XX’s steel pan remix of Touch Me which is bound to find a release in time for the summer.)
If there’s a downside to the album, it’s that the interludes are begging to be developed into something more and while they may be in keeping with Heron’s original vision they stunt the flow of the album as a whole. However, of the 13 tracks 8 of them are killer and definitely worth seeking out.
Top 3 Picks…
Ur Soul and Mine
I’ll Take Care of You
Go here and buy it… now. Word(s).